TruGreen Company Review
TruGreen is a national lawn care company with 314 locations in the U.S. It also offers a wide range of additional services, including pest control.
There are TruGreen locations in all 50 states, and the company is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Here are the pros and cons of doing business with TruGreen:
Our team of experts analyzes customer reviews as well as the latest company data. Keep reading to learn more about their findings. You may be surprised by what they’ve uncovered.
What Does TruGreen Cover?
TruGreen’s signature lawn care services include fertilization and weed control. The TruHealth Lawn Plan is the best value option for both commercial and residential customers.
All its lawn service agreements come with the Healthy Lawn Guarantee. That means you can call back as many times as needed between visits to ensure your yard is looking the way you want.
This includes both front yard and backyard care, and it ensures a green lawn every time.
The TruSignature Lawn Maintenance Plan, on the other hand, incorporates an aeration service as well as the standard treatment options. You’ll get visits every four to six weeks. In addition to lawn maintenance, you also receive healthy lawn analysis.
The TruComplete plan is a step up from the standard TruGreen lawn care plan. Here, you receive these services:
- Lime soil amendment. When your lawn’s PH balance goes too far one way or another, it can disrupt its growth. Also, weeds that flourish in acidic environments take hold. That’s why TruGreen treats your lawn and thereby brings it back to its proper PH balance.
- Aeration is the process of helping your lawn breathe by removing layers of dead organic matter on the surface. If left in place, it chokes your lawn and stops it from growing.
- Pre-emergent and targeted weed control means that your weeds will be gone by the time the technician leaves. Also, you can rest assured that they won’t be popping up again any time soon.
- Overseeding means adding grass seed to your lawn without having to turn the soil. The company provides this service with its upper-tiered plans.
- Tree and shrub services are available with the TruSignature plan. Also, you may be able to schedule it as a separate service. However, tree and shrub trimming is not available in all areas.
- Soil analysis. It’s important to have your yard soil checked regularly. The technician looks at the PH levels to determine whether they are properly balanced. If not, they will make recommendations on how to proceed from there.
The TruSignature Plan included everything above. However, instead of only six service visits per year, the company commits to ten. In addition, it carries a monthly warranty.
That means callbacks are unlimited. So, you can receive as many follow-up visits as needed until you’re satisfied with the look of your yard.
TruGreen offers lawn pest control services to prevent and control the following pests:
TruGreen offers a comprehensive tick control service. However, it does not include the inside of your home. The company prides itself on its ability to get results without intruding on its customers.
Tick control includes spraying your yard with residual insecticide. However, tick service is not available in the Memphis area.
A separate flea control service is available. However, the company will guarantee your home will be free of this biting pest when you sign up for its pest ad-on service.
Chiggers are the larval stage of mites. So, when your technician sprays your yard for ticks and fleas, it also guarantees it against chiggers.
TruGreen sprays for earwigs, also. However, instead of treating the yard, your technician will lay down a chemical barrier around your home. This method will prevent earwigs from getting in. And, it will also limit other pests from entering your home.
Ant treatments are fairly standard. However, TruGreen goes a step further than other lawn care companies.
It lays down granular baits to tackle fire ants and other invasive species. Your technician is also highly trained in barrier treatments. These advanced methods ensure that ants stay out of your home for good.
There’s nothing worse than discovering a nest of black widows lurking underneath your patio furniture. That’s why TruGreen goes to great lengths to get rid of them.
It starts with a thorough web knockdown service. Then, all structural areas are sprayed. This treatment process guarantees that these dangerous pests don’t return.
Mosquito Defense Service
TruGreen’s mosquito service is one of the most extensive in the world. It starts with a thorough inspection to ensure breeding sites are kept to a minimum.
Then, your tech will use a pro-grade microbial insecticide to kill eggs and larvae. These compounds disrupt the life cycle of mosquitoes through to the adult stage.
Next, your technician will set up a fogging device for full coverage of your lawn, garden, trees, and shrubs. Since mosquitoes live everywhere, they ensure that none can escape.
Finally, you’ll get a complete report recommending mechanical and sanitation measures. It also contains a list of materials used during the treatment process. These include insecticides, foggers, and specialized equipment.
Grubs (Beetle Larvae)
The company utilizes high-pressure spray equipment to defend your yard against damaging grubs. It’s a pyrethrin-based insecticide with a long residual effect. After the grub control treatment process, the tech performs an inspection to ensure they don’t return.
A wide range of TruGreen plans includes pest control. However, it’s typically an add-on service to its lawn treatment programs. So, you may have to pay a separate fee for each one.
TruGreen Cost Breakdown
TruMaintenance Lawn Care Plan
The TruMaintenance Lawn Care Plan costs $30 for the first application and $640 per year after that. It includes aeration and targeted weed control.
TruHealth Lawn Plan
The TruHealth Lawn Plan costs $40 for the initial visit and $740 per year after that. Most of what’s offered in the TruMaintenance plan is offered here. However, it does include overseeding as well.
TruComplete Lawn Plan
Everything that is included in the TruHealth Plan is also included in the TruComplete plan. The company also throws in tree and shrub services along with soil amendment and analysis. Expect to pay around $1000 per year for the service.
TruSignature Lawn Plan
The most complete option is the TruSignature service. It has all the features of the other plans.
However, there are 10 scheduled visits per year instead of six. Limited pest control services are also included.
Expect to pay $100 for the initial visit. Then, it typically costs around $1,200 per year after that.
Pest Control Costs
Pest control add-ons are typically $50 per month. However, you can also order them à la carte.
- Flea and tick service typically costs between $100 and $200 per treatment. It includes spraying all grass, landscaping, and vegetation areas.
- Mosquito spraying usually runs from $200 up to $500, depending on the acreage. Also, you can order a quick-spray service on short notice for an extra $80. This works well for parties, barbeques, and outdoor weddings.
- Grub services can be wide-ranging when it comes to price. However, expect to pay anywhere from $180 to $370 per visit, on average.
- Structural pest control is limited to outdoor perimeter spray treatments around your home. It includes coverage for ants, spiders, and other crawling pests. The cost for these one-time visits is between $200 and $500.
Keep in mind that these are merely estimated costs. TruGreen’s pricing depends on several factors, including:
- The size of your property. Most of TruGreen’s prices are based on 1/2 acre or below. For each additional 1/2 acre, add approximately $30 to the monthly cost. This is just an estimate, of course. So, be sure to consult your rep for details.
- The original condition of your yard before starting service. For example, if your lawn is mostly dead, overgrown, and neglected, you can certainly expect to pay more. Also, factor in a larger price for trash lying around, old tires, and other debris that will need to be removed.
- Area of the U.S. Some areas of the country are higher priced than others. So, naturally, you can expect to pay more for lawn care as well.
- Frequency of service. TruGreen is just like any other service company. The more frequently you do business with them, the lower the price for each service offering.
- Accessibility. If your technician needs a four-wheel-drive truck to get to your home, you may have to pay a little extra. Also, if they have to hassle with gate codes, security guards, or other third parties, you can expect their fees to have a little extra cushion added in for good measure.
What to Expect If You Choose TruGreen
When you first call TruGreen, you’ll be met by one of their friendly customer service representatives. Next, they’ll schedule a free inspection so you can obtain an exact quote.
Once the technician finishes the assessment, they’ll go over your available options. But don’t worry, they’re not pushy. Instead, they’ll help you pick a plan that’s right for you.
During each visit, you can rest easy knowing the technician has the training and expertise to care of your lawn. They also know how to get rid of yard pests fast. So, by the time they’re through, you know you’ve received the best service available.
TruGreen backs up all its services with a 30-day guarantee that means you can request as many follow-up visits as necessary to get the job done right. However, you probably won’t ever have to do that since its people are experts at what they do.
A Final Word About TruGreen
Our expert reviewers give TruGreen a score of 95 out of 100. That’s because the company is one of the best lawn care providers in the U.S.
Its TruSignature service plan is the most comprehensive available, and it scores high with its maintenance plans as well. So, for flexibility and service offerings, TruGreen outshines most of the competition.
Although its pest control services are also excellent, the main attraction for homeowners is its overall commitment to quality lawn service. And for that, TruGreen certainly gets our nod of approval.
Frequently Asked Questions About TruGreen
Is TruGreen Expensive?
TruGreen is neither the least expensive nor the most expensive lawn care service in the U.S. However, what it does offer is one of the best values in the industry.
So, even though you may pay more for some services, the company’s quality more than makes up for it. Then there’s the sheer number of complimentary services thrown in. For those reasons, TruGreen is an exceptional value for the money.
Who Owns TruGreen?
TruGreen is owned by The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, an American-based multinational corporation. It’s headquartered in Marysville, Ohio.
TruGreen’s services are available in all 50 states, and you can find your local branch information or buy their plans and services directly on TruGreen’s website.
Is TruGreen Worth It?
Any extra money you spend on TruGreen’s services is well worth it. Its technicians are some of the best in the world. So, that means you don’t have to worry about them damaging your lawn.
Also, the company is licensed, bonded, and insured in every state where they have an office. So, homeowners have the peace of mind knowing that they’re covered if anything happens to go wrong.
Does TruGreen Spray for Flies?
TruGreen does not have a fly control program. However, its technicians will make recommendations on how to get rid of them naturally.
- Uses natural fertilizers
- A full-service website with online chat
- Offers a wide range of pest control services
- Exceptional customer service
- Some branches aren't as good as others
- Mosquito control is not available in all areas
- Inexperienced techs in some locations
- Stinging Insects
Customer service: 1 (800) 458-4186
Headquarters: Memphis, TN
CEO: John Cowles (Sep 17, 2018–)
Parent organization: Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
- BBB RatingA+
- Google Reviews
- Yelp Reviews
- New Jersey
- North Dakota
- District Of Columbia
- New Mexico
- South Dakota
- New York
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
Compare Pest Control Companies Near You