When you think about Western Exterminator, you may picture its Little Man icon or its vivid yellow trucks and uniforms.
The Western Exterminator Company was founded in 1921 by Carl Strom, who strove to provide the best pest control services at high standards, accompanied by excellent customer service. After over 100 years of pest control service, Western Exterminator has developed many effective pest control treatments, along with a variety of preventative measures to help customers avoid the need for future pest control treatments.
What Does Western Exterminator Cover?
Western Exterminator offers Rentokil’s exclusive pestfree365 pest control maintenance service, which can significantly benefit its customers.
This service protects your home from nearly 40 of the most common household pests and includes regular inspections to help prevent future pests problems, using Integrated Pest Management techniques. Western Exterminator promises “pest free living all year long” with its pestfree365 program.
Some of the pestfree365 benefits include:
- Unlimited service calls (no extra cost) – Call Western between your regularly scheduled visits whenever you need.
- Protection from over three dozen of the most common pests (see below for a list of some of these pests)
- Includes service against bed bugs – Many pest control companies charge extra for bed bugs because they are challenging to eradicate. However, Western Exterminator includes this in its general protection, which can save you a lot of money if you end up having bed bugs.
- Non-invasive services created with pets and children in mind
- Periodic termite inspections are included in this plan.
- Customized service appointments – Western Exterminator schedules appointments around your schedule rather than its schedule.
- Education on preventing future pest problems – Your technician will educate you on simple steps you can take to help prevent future pest issues on your property.
General pests covered in the pestfree365 plan
- Stink Bugs
*Pests that are not listed as a part of its general coverage plan may have additional fees. Wildlife and termite control are two examples of services that are not covered within this plan.
On top of its pestfree365 program, Western Exterminator offers many additional services.
Here are just a handful of the services it offers:
Drain line services: Many types of pests can invade your home through your drains. When food particles, hair, fat, oil, and grease get trapped in your drains, pests are often attracted to the smell and will come seeking their next meal.
To counteract this, Western Exterminator uses a drain line service called Bioremediation, which involves a technician injecting microorganisms into your drain. These microorganisms feed on the fat, oil, and grease, converting it to water and carbon dioxide, resulting in clear drains.
They can also physically remove build-up, which can reduce odors coming from your drains. These services are not only good for your drains, but they can dramatically reduce pests and fly breeding sites that form in response to clogged drains.
Micro-sanitation: Western Exterminator can purify your air using a process called MicroPURE, which rids your home of allergies and other bacteria. This process dramatically improves your air quality and helps to eliminate odors and microorganisms.
TAP insulation: If your home has a hefty energy bill, you may want to consider Western Exterminator’s TAP Insulation process, which insulates your attic, resulting in cooler summers and warmer winter temperatures in your home.
This process not only reduces your energy costs but it’s more fire retardant than fiberglass insulation and helps to manage pests that may enter your attic, such as cockroaches and termites.
Air curtain systems: Western Exterminator offers air curtain services for those struggling with flying insects. Air curtain systems are both economical and environmentally friendly ways to prevent flying insects from entering your home.
For this service, a technician will install air blowers above your doors. The air blowers blow air downward at a rapid pace, making it difficult for most flying insects to fly through. This system prevents flying insects from entering your home without blocking views of the outside, and it can even help maintain the temperature of your home when the door is open.
Minor construction: If you need construction services after discovering damage from pests, Western Exterminator won’t leave you hanging. Its technicians are licensed, bonded, and insured for as-needed construction service.
Some of its construction services include:
- Dry rot repair
- Crawl space restoration
- Sewage remediation
- Foundation repair
- Structural repairs and additions
- Window installation
- Concrete installation
Lawn weed control: Prevention is always better than treatment, which is why Western Exterminator offers lawn weed control. Weeds can attract pests if they are not controlled. As a result, the company offers pre-emergent herbicides to help prevent weeds from growing in your yard without harming your other plants.
Western Exterminator Cost Breakdown
Similar to many pest control companies, Western Exterminator does not share its prices online. Instead, it gives each customer a custom quote based on their specific pest problem and property.
Some of the factors that determine West Exterminator’s cost include:
- Pest Type: Certain pests, like termites, can require more work to be treated, often requiring fumigation. Other bugs, like bed bugs, need special equipment to treat, which can be more costly.
- Infestation: Another considerable factor is the severity of your infestation. If you have caught a pest problem early on, it will likely cost less. If you have a significant infestation, it will likely require multiple visits and treatments, making it a costlier treatment.
- Property Size and Area: The size of your property can dramatically affect the cost of your treatment. If you have a large four-bedroom home, it will naturally cost more to treat than a one-bedroom condo because you have significantly more space for pests to invade and infest. The area you’re located in can also affect the price. For example, Los Angeles may cost more than Phoenix, or vice versa depending on the branch.
- Treatment Frequency: Depending on the type of pest and infestation severity, you may need multiple treatments to eradicate the pests. You may also need multiple treatments if you have numerous kinds of pests, with each treatment aimed at eliminating a different type of pest.
- Type of Treatment: Lastly, the kind of treatment will dramatically affect treatment costs. Certain pests require a specific kind of treatment, and each treatment will have a different price based on the cost of the product, equipment, and the time needed to perform the treatment.
If you’re interested in using Western Exterminator, we recommend giving them a call for a free quote for your home.
The provided number will be an unofficial estimate until a technician can come to your property for a free consultation. From there, you will be provided with a personalized quote. However, calling the company can give you a general idea of what you’d be looking at price-wise.
What to Expect If You Choose Western Exterminator
If you choose Western Exterminator, you can expect to begin with a free quote when you call and an offer to set up a free pest inspection of your home.
After a technician comes out to your home for the free pest inspection, they will go over different treatment options with you and provide you with a personalized quote for your property. Western Exterminator offers a variety of treatments, from physical to chemical to mechanical services.
In addition, your technician will also go over Integrated Pest Management techniques that they can use to prevent pests from coming back to your property after it is treated. IPM techniques can include exclusion methods, which seal holes and gaps, replace screens, and repair defects in your property where pests may have previously entered. Exclusion methods are an especially helpful tool in rodent control.
IPM also includes sanitation measures, such as eliminating food sources for pests and cleaning up common pest routes. Lastly, they may suggest trapping techniques to intercept invading pests. Traps may be set for pests like rodents and flying insects, including glue traps, insect light traps, and rodent multi-catch devices.
In conclusion, Western Exterminator offers a comprehensive pest control service to six Western states. It practices both Integrated Pest Management and uses the pestfree365 program to offer its customers protection from the most common pests in one big package. For those who live in Western Exterminator’s coverage area, the pestfree365 program can be a great choice, especially since the Rentokil brand, which backs Western Exterminator, has a solid industry reputation for its excellent service.
Overall, we give Western Exterminator a rating of 85 out of 100 for its comprehensive pest control plan, innovative Integrated Pest Management, eco-friendly methods, and free pest inspections.
Western Exterminator lacks coverage for most states, but it’s a strong contender for your pest control needs if you are in its service area. We especially like that bed bugs are included with its pestfree365 program, as most companies do not cover bed bugs, which are expensive to treat, in general pest plans.
Frequently Asked Questions About Western Exterminator
Is Western Exterminator Expensive?
Like many pest control companies, Western Exterminator does not list its prices online because it gives each customer a customized quote based on their specific situation and property. You can call for a free quote for your home. However, you will need a free pest control evaluation to be performed to receive an official quote for your home. Once a technician has assessed your home and particular pest problem, they can provide you with your final quote for the recommended services.
Who Owns Western Exterminator?
Western Exterminator was founded in 1921 by Carl Strom. Since 2012, Western Exterminator has been a part of the Rentokil family, which owns a handful of pest control companies throughout the United States and Canada. The Rentokil Family has a strong industry reputation for its pestfree365 program, which is a selling point for many of its pest control companies.
Is Western Exterminator Worth It?
Hiring a pest control company is often worth it because pests can quickly get out of hand if they are not dealt with properly. Whether Western Exterminator will be worth it for you is not for us to decide, but based on its overall positive customer reviews, it’s an excellent choice to consider for treating your home.
We recommend gathering several quotes from multiple pest control companies, such as Terminix or Orkin. Western Exterminator offers free pest control consultations, allowing you to have your property inspected by a trained technician. Use this consultation to ask any questions about the kinds of treatments your property will need, the cost, and any other questions you may have.
Ed has been working in the pest control industry for years helping 1,000's of homeowners navigate the world of insect and rodent management. He manages Pest Strategies now helping homeowners around the world!
The Good And The Bad test
- Offers Integrated Pest Management (IPM), which is a scientific method that reduces pest-friendly conditions on your property, decreasing future pest problems
- Over 100 years of experience in the pest control industry
- Uses green-certified pest control products
- Offers a full range of pest control services
- Does not use pest control contracts
- Offers free pest inspections
- Only offers services in six states (California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, and Nevada)
- Connection with Rentokil can cause confusion
Parent organization: Rentokil Initial
U.S. Headquarters: 305 North Crescent Way, Anaheim, California 92801
CEO: Carl Strom
State Availability: 6
BBB Rating: N/A