One of the beautiful things about St. Louis is that there is a wide variety of seasons. However, this can also mean that some pests are going to be better adapted than others. Because of this, you may notice that certain times of the year have pests that are much more prominent.
Some of the factors that determine how common a pest is during a certain season include:
- Humidity level
- Breeding availability
- Food availability
By knowing which pests to expect during each season, you can prepare your home correctly. This will help you prevent infestations and give you a better defense against them.
Spring is a very fertile time for the earth in general. There is an abundance of food and plant life and with these things come pests. You may notice that there are more insects in your backyard or garden when spring rolls around.
- Ants are very common in St. Louis in the springtime. This is when they start to build their colonies, and you may see them in larger numbers
- Termites are similar to ants in that they begin to multiply more in the spring. You might start to notice termite damage to your home around this time.
Summer in Missouri is very hot and humid. With these conditions, you will always get a larger population of insects in and around your home. This is especially true with stinging insects that breed during this time of year.
- Mosquitoes thrive in the summer, and they will be much more common during the hotter and more humid months.
- Ticks live in tall grass, which is much more prominent during the summer. They will also be more likely to latch onto animals like cats and dogs.
During the fall, a lot of vegetation starts to fall on the ground, where it will begin to rot. Combined with the leftover humidity from the summer, this is a perfect time for animals that live off fermenting vegetation.
- Stink bugs can release a foul odor when they are crushed. They also will be likely to come into your house seeking warmth when the weather starts to cool down.
- Spiders start to build their webs for the winter months during the fall. You may notice them in the corners of your attic or garage.
In the winter in St. Louis, many insects and animals seek refuge from the cold. This means that you’ll be more likely to encounter pests inside your home than you are outside. Therefore, sealing up the cracks and openings around your home can help prevent them from getting inside.
- Cockroaches look for shelter indoors during the winter. They will hunt for food at night and make their homes in your walls or pipes.
- Rodents are much more common in the winter in St. Louis. The warmth of your house and the availability of food makes them more likely to make their home inside.
Protect Your Home Every Season
Preparing your home for certain pests when the seasons start to change is a good idea, but a professional can help you make sure they don’t come back. Many pest control experts in St. Louis can come up with a specific plan for each season. Many of them also offer seasonal plans that are designed to deal with the most common pests during these months.
When the weather starts to change, you can be sure that the pests are changing with it. Knowing which ones to prepare for can help you keep them out of your home and outside where they belong!