Indianapolis is home to many animals and insects that thrive all year long. However, some pests are going to be more active and common in different seasons than in others. Knowing which pests to look out for when the seasons change can help you prevent them.
Some of the factors that determine how common a pest is during certain seasons are:
- Places to hide
- Food availability
- Breeding grounds
Your home in Indianapolis can be protected from pests all throughout the year with the right preparation. By understanding what pests are most common, you can correctly target them.
Spring is the season when most animals are coming out of hibernation. This is when food is the most plentiful and when most pests will start their breeding cycle. You will probably notice more pests in your yard than in the house during spring.
- Termites start to swarm in the springtime in Indianapolis. This is when you may start to notice damage to your home.
- Bees are more common in the spring due to the abundance of nectar from sprouting plants and flowers.
Pests in the summer time in Indianapolis are drawn to the warm weather and humidity. The amount of moisture in the air allows them to breed and continue their life cycle. It’s also a time when more people are outside, so parasitic pests are more common.
- Mosquitoes are abundant in the summer in Indianapolis. The moisture in the air and the warm weather means they will be out and about looking for food.
- Ants have generally completely colonized by the time summer comes along, and they will be out in your front or backyard.
While fall in Indianapolis isn’t as cold as winter, pests will still be looking for warmth. This is when you’ll start to notice more pests inside your house than out. They may also be building nests using fallen leaves and vegetation in gutters or backyards.
- Stink bugs are a common pest in Indianapolis, and fall is when they end up in your home. They come in through cracks and crevices and can be very difficult to remove.
- Cockroaches also look for warmth inside your home and generally find it in walls or plumbing.
Winter in Indianapolis is very cold, and many pests will either go into hibernation or hide out inside. Unfortunately, this usually means that you will see more pests inside your home. Pests may also build nests or colonies in your attic or crawl space.
- Rodents use your home to keep warm and look for food in the winter. They will burrow in walls and behind furniture and are very good at hiding.
- Spiders are more active during warmer months, but they are more likely to be in your house in winter. They build webs in the hidden corners of garages and basements where you are less likely to find them.
Keep Pests Away No Matter the Season
By knowing which pests are going to be an issue during which season, you can prevent them. Having an understanding of how pests survive and thrive is important. It can give you insight into their lives and how they make their way into your home and yard.
When the seasons change, being prepared for pests is essential. There are many professional pest control companies in Indianapolis that know which pests to treat for and when. Many of them also offer quarterly treatments that are specific to the seasons.