No matter what time of year it is, there will always be pests that thrive. However, you may notice that some pests are more common in some seasons than others. Insects and animals have adapted to survive in all kinds of weather, and Birmingham is no different.
Some of the factors that may determine whether a pest survives during a season are:
- Hiding places
- Access to food
- Mating availability
Your home in Birmingham should be prepared to deal with pests all year long. The best way to do this is to know which ones will be around in which season and target them accordingly.
Spring is a fertile time of year for all kinds of animals, including pests. Plants and flowers are blooming, which provides more food and shelter for insects and rodents. Because of this, you are much more likely to face a pest infestation in the spring.
- Termites start swarming in the spring in Alabama. They will use this time to build colonies near food sources, which are usually the structural elements of your home.
- Spiders are more common in the spring since they feed on the other insects that have emerged in the season.
Summer is a very warm and humid time in Birmingham. This creates an ideal environment for many different pests and will lead to more infestations than in other seasons. Plus, this is usually when most people are outside and vulnerable to them.
- Mosquitoes are very common in the summer. They pass through their life cycle much quicker, so more eggs are being laid and hatching.
- Ants thrive in warm weather, and they will use their energy to look for food at outdoor barbecues and picnics.
Fall is an active time for pests in Birmingham. This is when they are going to be seeking shelter from the upcoming cold weather and moving inside. It is also when they can find rotting vegetation that they eat or use for nests.
- Stink Bugs are very common in Alabama in the fall. They get into crevices in your home and die when they can’t get out, which releases their distinctive odor.
- Yellowjackets start to gather materials and nutrients for their nests in the fall. This is when you are most likely to find them lurking around your trash cans.
Winter is the season when you will start to see more pests inside your home. They search for shelter and will try to get into any cracks or crevices they can find. Because of this, you may be more likely to develop larger infestations indoors.
- Cockroaches look for warmth and food inside the walls and behind appliances in your home. This is also where they tend to take up permanent residence.
- Ladybugs are generally harmless, but they will seek shelter in the corners of your attic or basement in the winter.
Protect Your Home No Matter the Season
One of the best ways to keep pests out of your home is to prevent them from coming in the first place. Knowing which pests to be prepared for can set up the proper barriers when the seasons change. You can also be on the lookout for any pests that have found their way inside.
A professional pest control company in Birmingham can help you prepare. Many exterminators offer quarterly plans that are targeted to the specific seasons. By doing this, you can make sure your home and yard are protected from pests all year.