Omaha, Nebraska, has a wide array of seasons and many different ecosystems, which makes it a wonderful place for any lover of the outdoors. However, with those different seasons come pests. Some pests are more acclimated to certain seasons than others, so you are much more likely to notice them during these times.
Some of the things that determine which pests are more common during certain seasons include:
- Moisture level
- Availability of food
By knowing which pests will be more common during certain times of the year, you can prepare yourself and your home. Understanding why these pests might come around more often will also give you a chance to get ready for them when the time comes.
Spring is an active season for all kinds of wildlife in the Omaha area, and pests are no different. With a wide range of food available due to blooming plant life, spring will bring more insects into your yard and garden.
- Ticks live in tall grass and latch onto humans and animals as they walk through. Since grass in Omaha is starting to recover from the snow during spring, you may be more likely to run into a tick problem.
- Bees will be out in full force during the spring so they can feed on the nectar of blooming flowers. They may also be slightly more territorial during this time.
The warm and wet summers in Omaha create a perfect environment for all kinds of pests. Typically, summer is when most insects are reaching adulthood, and they will be out on the prowl for food and shelter.
- Mosquitoes love the warm and wet summers, and they will use this time to establish breeding grounds.
- Cockroaches are likely to be in your home, nesting in the walls and drains. They will also use this time to find uncovered food at barbecues and picnics.
Fall is a great time for pests that feed on fermenting vegetation. Leaves and branches that fall from trees end up in your yard and make perfect food and nesting material for pests that eat rotting plant life and over-ripe fruits and vegetables.
- Spiders will start to look for shelter for the winter during the fall months. This usually means that you will see them near furnaces or heaters where they weave their webs.
- Millipedes feed on rotting vegetation and will be very common in your yard if you allow leaves and other debris to gather.
Winter in Omaha is very cold. Because of this, pests and other animals will be looking for warmth and shelter. Unfortunately, they tend to find it in areas in or around your home, like crawl spaces and basements.
Rodents seek shelter from the cold inside your home during the winter in Omaha. You will be much more likely to find rodents in your walls or under furniture during this time. Fleas are often synonymous with rodents, and they will be more common during the winter than any other time of year.
Protect Yourself Every Season
When the seasons change, you must prepare your home and yard for the new crop of pests. There are many pest control companies in Omaha that can help. Many of them have seasonal plans targeted to the specific pests that are rampant during certain times of the year.
Knowing which pests you can expect during different seasons can help you keep from being caught off guard. You can also generate prevention methods that will make it harder for them to get inside your home when the weather changes.