Different pests will be more or less active depending on the season, just like any other animal. In Jackson, when the seasons change, you might notice different pests in and around your home. This is usually because some pests are more or less acclimated to certain seasons.
Some of the factors that determine how active some pests will be during different seasons include:
- Temperature variance
- Mating season
- Food scarcity
You can prep your home and yard by knowing which pests will be more common in the different seasons. You can also know whether they will be more likely to be inside or outside.
Spring is one of the most active times of the year for all living things. When winter starts to thaw away, plant life begins to bloom, and food is more abundant. This brings out all kinds of animals, including pests.
- Termites begin to swarm in the spring. This means that you are more likely to notice termite damage during this time and can act quickly.
- Ants build their colonies in Jackson in the spring and send scouts out to look for food.
Summer in Jackson tends to be very hot and humid. With these kinds of conditions, you are likely to see more pests out in your yard as well as in your home. Insects, in particular, thrive in this environment.
- Cockroaches are common in Jackson in the summer and will be attracted to the warm moisture in your walls and plumbing
- Bed bugs breed in the summer and will use the warm environment of your bedding to multiply.
Fall in Jackson is typically mild, but there are still cooler instances that can start to bring pests inside your home. It is also when there is a lot of rotting vegetation on the ground, which is a perfect food source for all kinds of insects and rodents.
- Beetles feed on overly ripe vegetation that is either still on trees and shrubs or has fallen on the ground. You may notice many more of them in your yard in the fall.
- Stink bugs gather in the warm areas of your house during the fall and will release an incredibly foul smell if you squash them.
During the winter, pests will start to look for ways to get inside your home. Even if they are acclimated to the colder weather, they will still prefer to be inside. This means you are more likely to find pests in your walls or drains during this time.
- Spiders make their webs near heat sources in your home, like heaters and furnaces. This is where they try to catch enough food to last through the winter.
- When the weather gets cold, rodents make their way inside and look for food in pantries and cupboards.
Get Professional Pest Control for All Seasons
No matter what time of year it is, a pest control professional can help you protect your home. Many exterminators in Jackson can find the best solution to keeping your house safe from common seasonal pests. Many offer year-round services that are targeted to the most common pests during certain times of the year.
Knowing what to expect when the weather starts to change can give you a head start on your pest control. It can also ensure that you are ready when unwanted critters start to try getting into your home.