All animals are very dependent on the weather. They use it to their advantage, and when the seasons change, you’re likely to see different animals around your home. Unfortunately, this is also true for pests, and different seasons will bring different issues.
Some of the factors that determine which pests are more common during certain times of the year include:
- Moisture level
- Food scarcity
- Available mates
You can be prepared by knowing which specific pests you are most likely to deal with during a certain season. All pest problems are different, and it’s in your best interest to know when to expect them.
Spring is an active time for all animals. Plants are blooming, and there is more food available than there is during any other time of year. Many animals also come out of hibernation during the spring, and they will be out looking for that food.
- Ants start to send out scouts to look for food during the spring. This is when they begin to build their colonies and when you are more likely to see them in your home.
- Wasps come out of their winter hiding places during spring. They will be trying to get into your home and be much more aggressive during this time.
During the summer, insects are particularly attracted to the humidity and warmth that is very common in Nashville. There also tends to be more people outside during these months, which means more food is available.
- Mosquitoes are much more active in the summer in Nashville than at any other time of year. This is when they come out to feed on people enjoying the warm evenings.
- Ticks nest in tall grass, which is very common in the summer. They use these hiding places to latch onto people and animals that walk through.
Fall in Nashville tends to be very mild, but it still starts to cool down from the heat of the summer. This is when you will begin to see insects that feed on rotting vegetation. It is incredibly abundant during this time when it falls from the trees and settles on the ground.
- Beetles feed on over-ripened fruits and vegetables, which are very common in the fall.
- Stink bugs start to come in from the cold during the fall. They get into your home through cracks and crevices and emit a foul odor when crushed.
Winter in Tennessee can get fairly cold, which means that more pests will be trying to get inside your home. This is when you will be most likely to see insects and animals in places like garages and basements as well as in walls and drains.
- Spiders weave their webs in the winter and use the warmer parts of your home to catch food. You will usually see them near furnaces and heaters.
- Rodents seek shelter from the snow in the winter and will be much more likely to be inside your home during this time.
Get Professional Help Year-Round
No matter what time of year it is and what kinds of pests you are dealing with, a professional pest technician can help. Many pest control companies in Nashville can work with you to protect your house from seasonal pests. Many have quarterly plans that include treatments for the most common pests during certain times of the year.
If you understand how pests behave during different seasons, you can be more prepared. Knowing the habits of certain animals and insects is a great way to create an effective and targeted pest control plan.