When the seasons start to change, pests change their habits and look for ways to survive. In the Fort Worth area, seasons are fairly consistent. However, local pests adapt to the weather and will be more or less common depending on the time of year. Some of the conditions that affect what kinds of pests are around in different seasons are:
- Levels of moisture
- Availability of shelter
- Food scarcity
- Breeding grounds
To prepare your home in Fort Worth, knowing what to look out for throughout the year can be very helpful. Not every pest will respond to the same treatment, so targeting the common ones for the season is a great method.
Spring is the time of year when animals of all kinds will be out and about the most. You are much more likely to notice bugs and rodents during spring in Fort Worth than almost any other time. This is because of the availability of food in the wild and places to build nests.
- Termites begin swarming in the spring and will start to look for food sources like the structural elements of your house.
- Bees look for flowers in the springtime and will be much more common than in any other time of year.
Summer in Fort Worth is very warm and has a high level of humidity. This is a great environment for pests because it promotes the growth of plants that are an excellent food source. Summer is when vegetation is very lush and can provide excellent hiding places for pests.
- Mosquitoes thrive in humidity and warm weather. Summer rains in Fort Worth can also provide lots of standing water, which is an ideal environment for breeding.
- Ticks live in tall grass and heavy vegetation, which is common in the summer months. This gives them a perfect hiding place for latching onto humans and other animals.
When the summer winds down and fall approaches, the cooler weather alerts animals that winter is approaching. Although winters in Fort Worth are not as cold as in some areas of the U.S., pests still need hiding places. This will often mean that they end up inside your home instead of in your yard.
- Spiders start to spin webs in the warm parts of your home, such as the basement and attic.
- Rodents look for long-term shelter for the winter. This will usually be in garages or inside the walls of your house.
Winter in Fort Worth usually means that there is extra moisture, which is ideal for pests. Damp places like basements can become safe havens for all kinds of animals trying to come in from the cold.
- Roaches are cold-blooded and can be very sensitive to lower temperatures. This tends to push them indoors where they can keep warm and find food.
- Wildlife that might usually stay outside is much more likely to seek shelter in garages and attics.
Keep Pests Away All Year
Pests can be an issue in Fort Worth no matter what time of year it is. By understanding when certain ones are more likely to be in your home, you can prepare. The best method of pest control is prevention and keeping them outside where they belong.
A professional exterminator in Fort Worth can help protect your home from all kinds of pests. Some of them offer seasonal services, which are targeted to specific pests that are common during that time. Having this kind of expertise at hand for your home is indispensable. By preventing infestations before they happen, you can keep your house safe and comfortable all year.