Just like humans, different pests have different preferences when it comes to seasons. Some pests will be much more prominent during the winter than the summer. Because of this, you may notice them out and about more often, or you may be more likely to see them in your house.
Some of the factors that determine pest activity during certain seasons include:
- Moisture content
- Habitat availability
- Food scarcity
- Breeding grounds
Knowing which pests are more common during certain seasons will help you prepare when that time rolls around. Setting up a targeted approach to pest control is also one of the best ways to be prepared.
During the spring, there is a wide abundance of food and shelter for pests. Plant life is starting to pollinate, which means there will be more bugs out searching for nectar. In Austin, there is a wide variety of plants, which means there will be more pests out during this time.
- Millipedes are very common in the Austin area. There is a lot of moisture in the grass and plants during the spring, which brings them out of hiding since they rely on high amounts of water.
- Ants start to build their colonies after the rains of winter. This means you’ll be much more likely to get an ant infestation in Austin during the spring.
Summer in Austin, TX, is very hot and humid. This means that insects will be outside more often and looking for food. This is also the time of year that many insects are reaching the adulthood stage of their life cycle.
- Mosquitoes use the moisture and heat of the summer for breeding. Since summer rains are very common in Austin, stagnant water provides an ideal breeding ground.
- Yellowjackets use the summertime to look for food left out by humans during picnics and barbecues. They can be very aggressive and territorial during this time.
In the fall, pests will start to look for places to hibernate or make their homes for the winter. They will also be attracted to the fallen vegetation that starts to rot on the ground. These two factors mean that as the weather cools down, you may start to notice different pests that aren’t as prominent during the summer.
- Cockroaches look for places to build their homes for the winter during fall. Usually, this means you will see them inside your house, where they hide in walls and pipes.
- Scorpions are known as summer pests, but fall is when they move inside homes for the winter.
Even though winter in Texas is milder than other places, insects and wildlife still look for warm shelter. This is when you will be more likely to see pests in your house instead of out in your yard.
- Rodents will seek shelter from the cooler weather in your home in places like walls and behind furniture.
- Spiders weave their webs for the winter in warm places like furnaces and water heaters.
Get Pest Control Protection No Matter the Season
Being prepared for the most prominent pests during particular seasons can help prevent them. Many pest control companies in Austin know which pests to test for, depending on the time of year. Some also offer seasonal treatment plans that can get ahead of a pest issue before it starts.
Keeping your home safe and comfortable is a good idea no matter what time of year it is. By knowing which pests will be around at a certain time, you can be as ready for them as possible!