When seasons change, so do the animals you’ll be most likely to see around your home. This includes pests that find their way into your yard and house. By knowing which pests to expect during certain times of the year, you can be prepared for them.
Some of the factors that determine when certain pests will be most common include:
- Available habitats
- Food supply
- Breeding ability
Louisville is home to many different types of wildlife and pests. It also has a wide variety of seasonal weather that can help these pests thrive. Understanding what pests to look out for is your best bet for preventing them.
Spring is a fertile time for all living things, and this includes pests as well. There is an abundance of food since flowers and plants are beginning to pollinate, and this brings insects. It is also when animals are coming out of hibernation and starting to look for more food.
Bees are incredibly common in Louisville, but they are especially problematic in spring. The wide array of plant life in the area provides food materials for them to build hives.
Flies are attracted to the thawing vegetation that has rotted over the course of the winter. They also breed in cooler, wet areas that are common in spring.
Summer in Louisville is very humid and provides a lot of warm moisture, which pests love. The wet air is a perfect habitat for airborne pests. It also promotes the growth of long, tall grasses that can be good shelter for many different insects and rodents.
- Mosquitoes are perhaps the biggest issue facing people in the summertime in Louisville. They thrive in the warmth and humidity and can find more breeding grounds.
- Ticks hide in tall grass and can transmit Lyme disease if they are infected. Always check your skin and clothing after walking through woods or heavy vegetation.
When vegetation starts to gather on the ground in fall, it can become a perfect hiding and breeding spot for pests. It can also start to rot, which provides food for all kinds of insects and will attract them to your yard.
- Stink bugs are very common in Louisville, and their numbers are rising as the years go on. Crushing these insects results in an offensive odor, so they are difficult to get rid of.
- Beetles and specifically Asian lady beetles, are another common fall pest in Kentucky. They can release a defensive chemical that triggers allergic reactions when they are threatened.
Though winter in Kentucky is relatively mild, pests will be much more likely to make their way into your home. Larger animals will be looking for a place to shelter for the winter, and insects are trying to hibernate where they can.
- Spiders weave their webs in the warmer corners of your home. Some of the places you might find them include areas near water heaters and furnaces
- Cockroaches can make their way inside through almost any opening. They live in walls and drains and will come out to look for food at night.
Be Prepared for Pests All Year Long
If you’re not ready for pests when the seasons change, you could end up with an infestation fairly easily. There are plenty of professional exterminators in Louisville that can help you get prepared when the weather starts to turn. Many of them offer seasonal treatments that help keep you protected all year long.
By understanding how pest behavior changes during different seasons, you can target them specifically when the time comes. Prevention is much more effective than extermination, and knowing when you might be facing a problem can help you along the way.